Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gina Hears a Who

Erik and I are waiting to hear back from our real estate agent about the house we're trying to buy. We hit a bit of a snag this week because the bank rejected the clause that said if the assessed price is less than our offer, we don't have to buy it. They came back and said that if it assesses lower, we have to pay the difference in cash. Oy.

So we had to decide - do we still put in an offer? And for how much? Do we want it enough to try to outbid the other offers? (there are several, though we don't know what they are). Are we willing and able to pay the difference? And how do we feel about paying more than it's really worth? In the end, we decided to go for it because it actually meant we could make a much lower offer than our original, and the house is in a great area that will more than likely increase in value in the next few years.

Then today, the day we hoped to hear from the bank, we saw a house come on the market that hits almost all our criteria (this other one lacks the east facing lake view Erik really wanted, among other things). Unfortunately, it's short sale, which can take up to 6 months. On the plus side, we have that kind of time. On the down side, um . . . well, we're currently trying to buy something else.

If you've read my blog for long enough, you might know that I like control. So the manic beaver in me (that's my nickname for the obsessive control freak part of me) wants to go into overdrive and figure this thing out. I want to cancel the other house and go for this one, but only if I know that we can get it for the right price (did I mention it's a wee bit expensive?), or I want to hear right now from our agent (We don't know why we haven't heard).

And then there's a little part of me that's sort of like the Who voice in Horton Hears a Who, that cries out, "You know, I think God has this one." It's a little voice, but it's trying its best to be heard. Because it knows that we've prayed for His guidance. We've asked Him to give us wisdom even when we can't see the end as He can. In putting in this second offer, we prayed and felt like it was a good decision. We've asked Him to let this fall through if there's something better out there. So the Who voice says, "You just need to trust, Gina. It's going to work out. You just need to wait."

No comments: