Sunday, December 05, 2004

eyebrows on dogs

Most of the dogs we saw in China were of the size and temperament that stirred in me a strong desire to either drop kick them, or flip them over and use them to wash my floor. We've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of this type of dog here. In fact, we've seen very few dogs. Mostly, we see cats. Tailless cats, but that's another story.

There is one dog we see regularly though on our walk to the MRT (subway station). He normally lives in a house in an alley, and watches us walk by his open door. He's a nice looking dog – a larger, short haired tan and white dog which I'm sure there is a proper name for but that's the best I can describe him.

Yesterday he had a change of venue. He was chained up in the alley while his owner was cleaning something. And that was when I noticed something I hadn't seen in the dark doorway of his house. This dog has two thick black arches drawn over both eyes, like clown eyebrows. This is a complete mystery to me. Is it just for fun? Do other people do this? Is it some strange religious ritual? Does it wash off? Does it bother the dog? Does PETA know about this? There are just too many questions.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Poor dog.

No comments: