Wednesday, December 01, 2004

the days of yore

I was feeling a little nostalgic today for the good old days. By that I mean my childhood, which I am realizing is gradually falling into the "long time ago" category of my mind. And probably everyone else's too.

The reason for my nostalgia started with making omlettes for my children. That reminded me of mornings at grandpa's, when he would make hands-down the best pancakes in the history of the world. It was the only place, aside from Perkins, where I was offered strawberry and blueberry syrup, in addition to the incomparable Karo syrup. He also made eggs, sausage and bacon, hence the trip down memory lane.

After the omlettes I ate some m&m's and am I the only one who misses the light brown ones? Am I the only one who remembers the light brown ones for that matter? I also miss how m&m's used to come packaged in that funky paper that was only sealed around the ends, not all the way around like now.

And has anyone seen the new Strawberry Shortcake dolls? They look like something out of Chuckie, the movie. When I was a kid, they were fun, non-scary toys. Sounds like a bad example of groupthink to me, "Hey, let's make the Strawberry Shortcake dolls again, only this time let's make their heads twice as big!" "Yeah, sounds good, pass the doughnuts!"

I know what you're thinking, "Those are nice stories grandma." I'm just sayin' is all - sometimes things used to be better.

1 comment:

Chris B. said...

The light brown ones were my favorite.