Saturday, January 28, 2012

What Kind of Dog is She?

If I had a dollar for every time someone has asked me if Scout is a Golden Retriever, I could BUY a Golden Retriever. It's true, she has transformed into quite the shaggy, golden puppy. But when I tell them that she is almost 6 months old, they immediately say, "Oh no, she's almost full grown - she can't be." I tell them she is a "tu gou" - literally a dirt dog, or country mutt. Then they tell me she's a good looking dirt dog. We agree.

If there's one thing that makes us confident that she is NOT a retriever, it's not her size. It's her completely inability to fetch anything. Not a lot of of things make me feel more foolish in life than throwing a toy for a dog only to have her just stare at it, then back at me like, "Well what did you do that for, you idiot? Now it's way over there."

So maybe part Golden Retriever, part something that really hates fetching.

No comments: