Thursday, January 05, 2012

Keyi ma?

I keep reminding myself that I live in a very cool place to take pictures. Unfortunately, I am hindered by the fact that I am nervous about taking pictures of people in public. I'm always afraid they are going to be annoyed or ask me to stop. Hence, you see me take a lot of pictures of the backs of people.

A few days ago when I was out, I decided I needed to be a little more brave. I peeked into a sheltered "restaurant" to snap this picture:

Just before I took the picture, a man outside (presumably the owner) stopped me and asked what I was doing. I told him I was just taking pictures for fun, then I showed him this afterward. He liked it.

Feeling a little emboldened, I walked up on the pedestrian bridge where they are always selling things. There were two long tables filled with colorful jewelry. I started to set up a shot, but the two female sellers started objecting loudly. I gave them my same explanation and even showed them some of the pictures I'd taken. They told me I couldn't take pictures because it was Buddhist jewelry and went on to say something more (maybe they think it takes away the power?). I asked them if they believe in this, but they said no. I thought it was a little funny that they would defend it anyway, but I respected that and walked away.

So, a few steps in the "keyi ma?" (OK?) direction, but it might be awhile before you see peoples' faces in my photos.

No comments: