Tuesday, April 07, 2009

You never know what you'll see

I see a lot of strange things on morning runs. Asian people do many interesting exercises that involve walking backwards and slapping themselves. I see people attempting to run in flip flops. I see maids taking grandmas for walks. Sometimes I see an old woman bouncing a basketball. And sometimes she's carrying the basketball in a pink plastic bag.

Today was the best though. I ran past an old man riding his bicycle. He had a branch strapped to the handlebars, and a green parrot was sitting on the branch. I'm tempted to say, "Now I've seen it all" but since I will continue to live in Asia for awhile I know that's just not true.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hahah! This post was perfectly timed. Just tonight, Josh and I took the kids out for a walk and there was a lady in front of us slapping herself. I commented to Josh about how I had never seen anyone do that before moving here and now, I *almost* think it's normal since I see it so much.

And, here is one to add to your collection. . . there is a lady in our neighborhood who takes her 5 birds (in their cage), 2 dogs and 2 cats out for a walk in this huge double stroller. She wears this gigantic floppy sun hat and always stops moms with strollers to crack the same joke about how her "kids" love to go for walks, too. I'm not making this up. I wish I were.