Monday, April 04, 2005

Future aspirations

I asked Ethan yesterday what he wants to do when he grows up. He said he wants to make money, "as much money as I can." The whole point of making lots of money is so that he can buy the Thomas the Tank Engine pieces that he lacks, which is I'm sure a part of everyone's Great American Dream, maybe further down the list after big house and oversized SUV.

I said, "But what do you want to DO to make money?" That question stumped him. I gave him some examples like doctor, lawyer, builder . . .
"Mommy, I want to do two things. I want to be a builder and a money maker."
"That's great, but honey, I don't think there's a job that's just 'money maker.' The way it works is, you do a job, and then your boss gives you a check for the money you made. Then you put the money in the bank and take it out when you need it." (or that's how it would go in a world where people were financially wise).
Unconvinced, he talked more about how he would go the money machine whenever he needed money, revealing that he thinks like many people - ATMs are machines that give money to the needy. No one knows where the money comes from, but they hope it keeps coming.

No comments: