Monday, November 08, 2004

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Going grocery shopping today felt a little bit like the Twilight Zone. There was garland and ornaments hanging from the ceiling, and the clerks were wearing santa hats. Outside the store, it was possible to purchase a variety of ornaments, snow spray, even fake Christmas trees.

In America we complain that Christmas stuff comes out too early - well, at least you have Thanksgiving as a little detour. Apparently Singapore is plowing ahead toward Christmas full speed. I've heard rumors of Christmas decorations and activities being up all over the city. It all feels so completely wrong, as there is no snow on the ground and everything is green!

I'm sure there will be more posts like this from me in the coming weeks as I adjust to my first Christmas in a place that couldn't look less like home. Sing with me, "I'm dreaming of a freak snow storm . . . way down here at the equator . . . "

No comments: