Thursday, October 07, 2010

A Lego Imagination

I heard Ethan this morning before I saw him, the sounds he was making to accompany the flight of his Lego creation coming down the stairs. He sat on the couch next to me and told me an elaborate story involving the dog sector, the human sector, differences in gravity, his "son" Ben, the specs of his flying vehicle, something involving a war, and a crash landing. This is all in his imagination. His Lego imagination.

If you have boys, and you are wondering about the value of these expensive pieces of plastic (which become lethal torture objects under your feet in the dark) wonder no more. Granted, most of the Legos we have we bought on sale or were gifts, but they are worth every penny.

Ethan rarely puts sets together as intended anymore. Instead, he and his friends (and sister) have covered his Lego creation table with various vehicles and stations, including the White House, a carpark, a pet shop, a fishing pond, a museum, a gas station, a prison, a dock, a "puffle" house, and a horse stable.

Nothing has provided Ethan with more hours of entertainment nor with more fodder for imagination than Legos. In fact, it's pretty much his only toy. The things he makes baffle me - I don't think I could create them. That could be because I have not one engineering bone in my body.

As I typed this, Ethan jumped up from the couch and said, "I have an idea!" I can hear him rummaging through his Lego boxes. Today, I tip my hat to the creator of Legos, and say thank you very much.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

In a way, I feel the same way about the inventor of the kong. Can't say much about the imagination piece but it does provide blissful hours of quiet.