Saturday, February 11, 2012

That Date That Wasn't

In light of Valentine's Day approaching, I thought I'd take this time to share with you the story of The Date That Wasn't.

It was 1995 and I was living in Mankato with 4 other women in a house right next to the university. I had convinced one of my roommates to watch The Jerk (oh the irony) with me. Partway through the movie I had already fielded 4 telemarketing calls and let's just say my tolerance for being propositioned was running thin.

Then I had this phone call. I swear every word of this phone call is true and unexaggerated:

Me: Hello?

Random guy: Hi Gina?

Me: Yes?

Random guy: Yeah, I was just wondering if you wanted to go out with me on Friday night.

Me: That depends. Who is this?

Random guy: I'm not really sure I want to tell you.

Me: Well then I'm very sure I don't want to go out with you.

Random guy: Well . . .

Me: Do you think I'll go out with you if I don't know who you are??

Random guy: (ok I won't publicly out him here. I am quite sure he doesn't read my blog but that would be just mean. Suffice to say he identified himself).

Me: I'm going to my parents' house this weekend (honest to God truth).

Random guy: Oh. OK.

I don't know how he saw that ending differently. I guess he must not have thought it through or he was just banking on the element of surprise. Maybe he thought I'd be caught off guard enough to say, "Sure, pick me up at 6" and then when he showed up, I'd be locked in. Poor guy. I hope since then he's worked up a little more courage.

No comments: