Sunday, March 14, 2010

In like a lion . . .

Ok, I hate to say it. I mean I REALLY hate to say it, but I have to retract my spring declaration. Granted, it has been significantly warmer here, for the most part, than my hometown and for that I am grateful. But it's hard to say spring has arrived when it keeps snowing!

What's up with this? I think 3 out of the first 5 years we lived here, we didn't one flake of snow. The other two years there was probably a combined total of six inches. This is just weird. The kids and I went out to brave the weather for church (mostly because I had something to pass to a friend and didn't want to miss the opportunity) and there was a good inch and a half on the car! Then I saw that my friend wasn't going, so we turned tail and fled back to the warmth of the house.

Sort of. See, the government has been slowly turning off our heat, and I think tomorrow might be the official turn off point. It feels a little like that scene in Star Wars when they are caught in the garbage compactor and the walls are closing in. There they are, helpless to stop it. Changes in weather do not slow the turn off. So while it might be 50 degrees outside, which is nice, it's still 50 degrees inside, which is not. And today it's probably about 35.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not really complaining about it. More baffled really. Although if this is still happening once the heat is completely gone, you might find me complaining.

No comments: