Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pottery Barn, Welcome to Asia

Our initial search for furniture here was a bit of a shock. Where'd all the cheap furniture go? Suddenly IKEA looked like a more viable option. But the thing is, I'm not Swedish. It's not as appealing I think if you aren't Swedish.

But a friend of ours gave us a phone number for a guy who's made some furniture for him. We gave him a call, and out of curiosity asked him how much he might charge us for a solid wood dining table, 1x1.8 meters. His quote was around $250. Ah, this is more like it.

He's coming this afternoon to see what we want, so I am in a mad scramble on the internet, looking for pictures of the furniture we want. Of course my first stop is Pottery Barn, and Pottery Barn Kids. Ironically there is a good amount of Asian style furniture there, which I am going to have him replicate. Granted, my furniture won't be kiln dried like the stuff from Pottery Barn, but it won't cost me an arm and a leg either. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: