Monday, June 29, 2009

My should-have-been birthday

Today, June 29th, should have been my birthday. My mom was due with me June 29th, 1973. Oh, I know only something like 5% of women give birth on their actual due date, but I have to point out that my birthday is July 25th. That means my mom was overdue by 26 days. Almost 4 weeks. Say that out loud just to let it sink in.

If you've given birth, you know how going past your due date can feel a little bit like you played the lottery and lost. As each day passes, you want to hole up in your house more and more so you can avoid the questions like, "Haven't you had that baby yet?" As if you just forgot to give birth. Either that or you're out running a 10K, sliding down stairs, or doing a million other things people suggest will bring on labor. Imagine doing that for almost four weeks, to no avail. You would start thinking you would be pregnant FOREVER.

When I finally came out, my parents said I looked like Jonah coming out of the whale (not intending to refer to my mother as a whale) because my skin was all red and scaly, and I was frighteningly bald. Really not attractive. You'd think my mom would be rewarded for her extra month of pregnancy but no, she got something that made her say, "This can't be mine." It sounds horrible but I've seen the pictures and I have to agree.

So if you're expecting, and particularly if you're overdue, I hope this story gives you encouragement. They learned their lesson after me, "Nope, keeping them in there longer doesn't make them any cuter. Get 'em out!"

1 comment:

Nonna said...

I have to admit that it was my initial response, but the love I felt for you was and is phenomenal. Also, it took no time at all for you to be really cute.