Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Is it real?

I'm looking out the window at a blue sky, and a horizon of foothills lining our new city. Well, it's not really new. It was our home from 1999-2004. It's where our children were born. It's where we've made life long friends. And as of 6:15 a.m. this morning when we landed, it's our home again.

Our friends met us at the gate of our new building, and I haven't seen the kids more than about 2 minutes since then (it's almost dinner time) as they've been tromping between three apartments and the courtyards between them. I accompanied a friend of mine to register with the local police (a must in this country, even for a short stay), and to the Carrefour (think a downsized French Walmart) where I was delighted to see how much more we can buy than we could before. Much has changed for the better, but so much is still familiar. Erik is getting the key to our new apartment as I type, and I hope to head out for a run later tonight once the sun has gone down a bit and it's cooled down to 75 or so.

I can't get over the fact that I just think we're visiting. After all, we've stayed with these friends before. But there's no return ticket to Singapore around the corner. Once we're back from Hong Kong next week (where we'll get our long term visas) we will settle into the apartment next to ours (which belongs to our friends who will be in the States this summer) and finish readying our place. Our belongings should arrive around the beginning of July, and then I think it will finally hit me: we don't live in Singapore anymore.

1 comment:

Four Buttons said...

Gina, it won't feel real for a while, but it will over time. Somedays I don't remember where I am, weird huh? I'm so glad you all made it okay and that everything with visas got taken care of for you guys!! I'm sure it's been awesome to see friends again and know that you won't be saying good bye soon :) Must feel odd being gone from singapore, you were there so long, but atleast you are in the land of cheap cheap cheap!!! We are continually lifting you guys up in prayer and I think of you often! lots of love :)