Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Asian Conference on Western Breakfast

Many of you may be unaware of the above conference which occurred some time in recent history and established conclusively for all Asian countries what Westerners appreciate for breakfast. I feel that perhaps actual westerners may have been unrepresented at this conference. This is what we have found at restaurants across Asia (and by that I mean Singapore, China, and Thailand) for western buffet:
cereal: corn flakes, rice crispies, some kind of chocolate cereal, and sometimes bran or muesli
a wide variety of sweetened bread - not quite doughnuts, but nothing included under Atkins
limited local fruits
eggs, bacon, pancakes, potatoes, sausage
salad (that's the Asian encouragement)
whole milk
something like Tang
tomato juice

My ideal western buffet is a wide variety of cereal and skim milk. I'd like to say I'm not complaining, but after two weeks of corn flakes and bran (you know, the kind that looks like little sticks) I'm hungry for my own choices. Just a little glimpse into a tropical vacation.

No comments: