Wednesday, November 03, 2004

watching the election

I am extremely grateful today to the inventor of the internet (wait, isn't that Gore?). Without it, I would be unable to watch the on-g0ing election results. It's strange to sit quietly alone here in our office, on a fairly hot November day, watching, and thinking of all the tv sets across America with crowds gathered around them. My friend Michelle said they were having a bi-partisan party at their house. My mental picture is that it would be like watching a Packer/Viking game with an equal amount of people from Wisconsin and Minnesota, the results of which we would be doomed to discuss for at least the next four years.

So much of the biggest news that has happened in America in the past 6 years I have watched from afar but not participated in. It's a strange feeling, like watching my neighbors from behind one of those one way mirrors where I can see in but no one knows I'm there. I'm there, but I'm not.

No comments: