Saturday, November 13, 2004

Mustafa Center

Most people I have met in Singapore are familiar with Mustafa center (which we cannot help but say funny every time because, hey, it's a funny name). This is a large store in the middle of Little India where you can buy just about anything, and about a 10 minute walk from our condo.

It was quite crowded today as there is a national holiday right now, and after all, it's Saturday. I am back to being in the place of not understanding what others around me are talking about - I think I heard at least four other languages being spoken while I was there. I highly suspect there were a few times when they were talking about me.

In many ways, Mustafa is just like a big Walmart, only in a smaller space with about five floors and narrow aisles. You could easily get lost. I can find things I recognize like Crisco and Orville Redenbacher's microwave popcorn, and (my mom will laugh at this because she just about sent me some yesterday) holiday mint m&m's. But then I'll be taken aback by something like the Pillsbury dough boy on a package, proclaiming, "Instant Nashta." Instant what?

Why do I write about this? Well, just want to give you an idea of how I shop here. It's new, it's different, but I like it. And it's fun to say too. Mustafa!

No comments: