Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Just when you thought I couldn't say any more about tropical fruit

I know, I posted twice about Durian alone, but I have to put in a blurb about Rambutans, because they are native to Singapore and I know I've never seen one before. I also have a special interest in Rambutans because our MOPS discussion group is named after them (each group has a fruit name).

As you can see from the pictures below, it has the same outward appeal as the Durian - spikey and frightening. We got this one free from our fruit guy, so Ethan and I decided to check it out. The shell is tough, but you can cut it with a sharp knife (or probably a fingernail, but who wants to try that?). The inside is clear fruit that feels like a hard grape. Turns out it tastes a bit like one too, only sweeter. Once we got over the looks, Ethan and I discovered that we really enjoyed them! If you ever see this tropical fruit in your area, give it a try!

No comments: