Friday, October 14, 2011

These Worms are Weighin' Me Down

So we thought we had managed to buy the calmest, most low energy puppy in the world. Turns out what we got was a puppy with worms, and those things will slow you down.

She's been pretty tame from day 1, but the last couple days she has not been very playful. She never ran, and would probably sleep most of the day if we let her. When she started dragging her butt around, I took her to the vet, who massaged her hind end in a way that made me immensely grateful that I did not choose to be a vet, and then gave me worm medicine. He said it was either her anal sacs (I got that from the internet - I do not, nor do I wish to know how to say "anal sacs" in Chinese) or worms. I was praying for the former.

But sure enough, yesterday morning they appeared which grossed me out so completely that homeschool was basically out the window while I searched online for what kind they were, and more importantly, the likelihood that we would contract them.

I finally walked down to the vet and asked him myself (bonus: I now know how to say roundworm, tapeworm, and pinworm in Chinese. Information I never knew wanted to have to know). He said certainly roundworms, but not to worry, we most likely won't get them. I bleached the patio anyway. We've been down the worm road before and it gives me the heebie jeebies.

A couple friends were over yesterday who own dogs and they warned me that once the worms were through her system, we'd really see what kind of puppy she is, and they were right! This morning she was mostly awake for 3 1/2 hours - her longest stretch yet. She's running, chewing, and expressing herself far more than before. Who knew worms could weigh you down so much?


No comments: