Friday, July 29, 2011

summerful of thanks

I know it's not over yet, but I have been meaning to share all the things I'm thankful for here in the States. Some of them may surprise those of you who live here. But I suppose a lot of things that happen to me could be viewed as odd to the rest of the world, and that's ok. It's part of the expat life.

So here they are (in no particular order):
1. sandwich meat and lots of it
2. wildlife
3. free days
4. ceiling fans
5. anything we could possibly need (except my Chinese almonds. I'm missing those)
6. croquet
7. swimming pools
8. endless miles of prairie
9. endless miles of woods
10. people who have known me such a long time
11. yogurt that holds its shape when you put a spoon in it
12. the library
13. cool mornings
14. no one else around on those cool mornings
15. except the few other people who without fail greet me
16. speaking my own language
17. parents who serve and give endlessly
18. uncles and aunts who love on the kids (our aunts and uncles and theirs too!)
19. the novelty of programmed television
20. VBS
21. Trader Joe's
22. hearing "Gina Brenna?!?" at Trader Joe's and having it be a friend I've known since kindergarten (who lives in Boston)
23. Oh yeah, Boston
24. New York
25. My oldest, dearest friend Laura being just miles away
26. cute things in stores that I just like to look at and sometimes buy
27. Seeing old friends who normally live in other countries
28. catching up on trends in culture and clothing
29. seedless grapes
30. inexpensive avocados and hummus
31. Valleyfair
32. The MN Twins
33. Thunderstorms
34. Fast internet streaming
35. Road trips
36. Diet sodas other than Coke Zero and Coke Light

and the list goes on. We're enjoying Minnesota!

No comments: