Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pillow Talk

Ethan hit me with a whopper last night when he came into my room and said, "Mom, I have a big question. Why do mommies and daddies like to sleep in the same bed?"

To buy myself time, I laughed out loud, while thinking, "Oh God, please tell me it's not already time for this one. Where's Erik? Shouldn't Erik be fielding this? Don't jump to conclusions Gina. Maybe he's not really asking what you think he's asking." (yeah, that's right - I think really fast).

He said, "Why are you laughing?"
"Oh, you're just funny Ethan. Why are you asking that question?"
"Because I heard in an audio book that mommies and daddies like to sleep in the same bed. And I want to know why."
(Whew). "Well, because we love each other, so we like to sleep in the same bed." (Now off to bed with you, little camper!)
"But sometimes you say that daddy annoys you at night."
(When will we learn that they listen to everything we say?!)
"That's just because usually daddy falls asleep before me, and he snores, and it keeps me awake. So then I have to smack him and he rolls over."
Ethan, "So you smack daddy in the face and he goes back to sleep?"
Hey, let's just clarify that smacking statement before it gets repeated at VBS, "No, I just elbow him, and he rolls on his side."
I then did a demonstration of this, because it cracks me up. Erik doesn't snore so much as breathe VERY heavy. What's cute is that when I elbow him, he rolls on his side, but usually makes an, "I feel so rejected" whimper. I did that too, because it made Ethan laugh.

This seemed to satisfy him, to my great relief. Chalk up one for Ethan for keeping me on my toes.

No comments: