Thursday, July 19, 2007

Speaking of Diversity

Ok, my last post was a bit opinionated. This one is not. When I say diversity, I am speaking of that which I witnessed on our drive out to Colorado. It's astonishing to drive through rolling farmland into the Badlands, then into wide open spaces, then back into mountains. I kept imagining what it must have been like for early explorers. It gave me great respect for those who chose to traverse it in wagons and on horseback. I think if it had been me, I would have rounded a few of those hills and said, "Yeah, not worth it. Let's head back East." But I'm glad they didn't so I could see all this:I took about two dozen pictures in the Badlands, but my favorite part was the colors you can see in the hills here. I would like to thank and give credit to the tinted windows on the Honda Odyssey for acting as my much needed polarizing filter.

Who knew God made such big open spaces? This went on for miles in both directions. Can you imagine crossing this in a wagon? How many times did the pioneer kids whine, "Are we there yet?"

This is more like it. Our kids and their friends needed more time than we gave them to climb the rocks that surrounded the trail around this lake in Estes Park.

No comments: