Sunday, January 29, 2006

Most auspicious

This afternoon when I discovered I had no sugar to make brownies, I went across the street to the little Asian strip mall, hoping there might be a store open (since it's New Year's Day). Our trusty 7-11 was, and had one bag of sugar left. It also had a line about 40 people long, not waiting in line to pay for things (thank God!) but to buy lottery tickets.

You see, this is probably the most auspicious day of the year to buy a lottery ticket. I mean, it's the first day of the new year - how can you not win? It took me by surprise a little because I kind of thought that though they talk luck and fortune and how you aren't supposed to do all these things because they'll bring bad luck, I didn't really think they actually took it seriously. But it looks like some of them believe it enough to endure an hour long line to throw away money on a lottery ticket. Too bad only a few people will experience the "luck" of that move.

No comments: