Tuesday, January 17, 2006

God's in the little things

I hate organized games, particularly at birthday parties for children. My children have had great birthdays with lots of kids, but no party games. I try to make up for the lack of activities by decorating in fun themes and creating impressive looking cakes.

This year is no different. A few weeks ago, Ethan and I started talking about his birthday at the end of February. This may seem premature, but we will be gone from February 2-19th at a conference in Thailand, and his birthday is the 23rd. So if he wants anything at his birthday that can't be purchased here, I have to plan ahead enough to have someone bring it to Thailand.

At first he wanted a Buzz Lightyear theme, for reasons unknown, since he's never shown interest in him before. Then he decided Batman would be good - a little more doable in my mind. Then he settled on dinosaurs. I spent a good amount of time looking online for dinosaur supplies to order and send to someone coming over. I found some that were just great, but before I ordered, I thought I'd try The Concourse.

The Concourse is this treasure here in Singapore. At holidays like Christmas and Chinese New Year (right now) the basement is filled with inexpensive decorations. Other than that, it has several party supply stores. They're filled with lots of cheap toys and candy - nothing much you'd see in the States honestly. But I thought there might be a chance we'd find something.

The first store we went to had 4 themes - 1st birthday boy, 1st birthday girl, generic birthday, and the exact same dinosaur decorations I looked at online! Ethan was thrilled, though disappointed that we couldn't buy every single item available.

So for those of you who might have doubts about whether or not God cares about the little things, I beg to differ. It may not make any big difference in the world at large today, but the heart of an almost 6 year old is flying high, and I think that's enough for Him.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I definitely agree that God cares about the little things. We have seen that time and time again in our lives.

David's birthday is on the 26th of February. We have been planning his birthday party since the first of the year. We have everything easily accessible to us, but he likes to think about everything for a while.

David has decided on a Madagascar themed party this year. We are having it at a local hotel where my parents are staying. We rent the party room for cake and opening presents. Then the kids are going to get to go swimming.

Glad to hear that all is well in Singapore.