Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fun in the Middle Kingdom

We're back and defrosting from our trip to the big country of the east. This morning I looked in my closet, saw only shorts and t-shirts and thought, "Great, I'm going to be cold." Then I remembered that I live on the equator.

There's too much to tell because I hate long posts, so I'll just tell you one story that made me want to scream, "I love China!"

I got my deal of the week at a place called Golden Five Star. Picture a huge one story building with a thousand stalls selling things ranging from bathroom faucets to purses to bicycles. We went there to have some pictures reframed, but I found a curtain store that had this gorgeous silk material. You have to understand that usually these places don't have any material that you might possibly want in your home. But this was exactly what I was looking for. I thought it might cost up to 60 yuan per meter (about $7.50 US) but when I asked her, she said, "10 yuan" ($1.25 US). I ordered 10 meters. It's now draped over the curtains in my bedroom. Pictures to come, once my bedroom transformation is complete (that's what happens when you buy a new bed).

But what really made me want to scream, "I love China" was seeing all our great friends there. We stayed with a family who has kids the same age as ours, and live in the same complex as our closest friends there. The fact that it was freezing outside was fine with us because all we really wanted to do was be with all of them. We love Singapore, but being back there was like being home again. I feel like breaking out the Cheers theme song when I think about it.

I know what you're thinking, "I bet it wasn't really that cold. They're just cold wimps now." But really - it dropped down into the teens while we were there, with really strong winds. Our friends there were complaining right along with us. Ethan kept asking when it would snow. Unfortunately it never did. Cold without snow is so pointless.

So we had a great time, but I think we'll save our next vacation time to go somewhere warmer. Actually, we're thinking of going to the island where they filmed South Pacific. That's fodder for another post though.

No comments: