Thursday, July 08, 2010

Psalm 16

Last week, Ethan asked me why God made us come back to China only to have his best friend leave so soon. I didn't answer the question then, but this morning as I walked around our complex, I heard a song based on Psalm 16 and thought it was time to take a stab at a response (the song is by Jason Gray-formerly Gay but changed his name for obvious reasons-and if you are unfamiliar with his music you're missing out).

Here is the part I shared with them:
"Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure"

We talked about what it means to have an assignment, to have a portion that is measured out just for you. We talked about the boundaries around a property and how they keep us safe and show us where we are supposed to be. And we talked about how all these things are from the hands of a good God who loves us and wants the best for us.

And then we talked about how this assignment from God might work out for our good. Soon, we will be moving to a part of town where there are many people we know and love. Erik will be a 5 minute walk from work (I mean literally from his desk to our door!). We will have more time as a family and more connection with our team. And that is only what we know - who knows what else God has in store?

We reflected on how this has been a good chapter of our lives, given to us by God. We talked about previous chapters that weren't as great, but we can see how God brought us through. And we ended by confirming our belief that whatever is in the next stage, God is there.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

What an amazing mom you are . . . and what an amazing conversation. SO thankful for how you are walking through the sadness with such vulnerability. Jia you! love you friend!

Gina Marie said...

Thanks Tammy!

Kevin said...

Great example of discipleship from a mom to a son. Thanks for introducing Jason's music to me. Most of all thanks for reminding me of Ps.16; really needed that at this precise moment. Gina, Lisa/I did cross the line & will be coming to China next summer. If you'd like to hear a bit of our story it's on the home page under 'transitions' at www.valleycreek.org
Blessings!

Gina Marie said...

Kevin,

I watched your video - exciting vision! Please keep us up to date as you come and let us know if there's anything you need. I have some language learning resources that you might like to use during the next year.