Sunday, February 21, 2010

I declare spring!

I used to think that our city didn't really have spring. I mean, it had about a month, between the end of March and the end of April, when the winds picked up and told the pollution to take a hike for a few weeks, and the weather was balmy. Then it hit hot.

But today I realized something huge. Spring isn't shorter here. It just starts earlier. See, for Minnesotans, spring comes mid to late March ("in like a lion, out like a lamb" is what we always said for that month). But I'm staring out at 57 degree weather right now, and it's going to be at least near 50 for the next 10 days. The normal average right now is about 45. When we ran the half marathon in October, it was colder than it is today.

So may I officially declare it spring here? I know you southern born folks are shaking your heads and will continue to wear your long underwear, but I am rejoicing in the fact that we DO have spring! I'm off to enjoy it with a celebratory run. (no, not in shorts and a t-shirt like we ran the 1/2 - too many stares from the locals!).

No comments: