Wednesday, February 14, 2007

School at the beach


Ah, the beauty of homeschool. Sure, there are days I want to pull my hair out, or threaten to put them in public schools, or make plans to rob a bank so I can pay for a private international school (ok, I don't do that). But today was a good day.

We went to East Coast Park after lunch with the intention of collecting shells to make picture frames. This is a Cub Scout project Ethan can get credit for, so he was excited. Once we got there, I realized that this wasn't just a fun outing - it was biology/geography/weather/geology/physics class all rolled up in one. What animals lived in these shells? Look at this crab! Why do these little rocks get washed up this far onto shore? Is it going to rain? Hey, a sun shower! What path will these peanut shells take if I put them at the top of these rocks and they get washed out to sea? (seriously).

I kept wondering what the average 7 year old is doing in school at 1 p.m. and I thought my son has it pretty good. Now if only he realized that . . .

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Beautiful...just beautiful!!! Your pics and your words....all of it so true!!!