Monday, April 25, 2011

White Space

White Space.

I've been thinking about this term lately, pondering, "Is there white space in my life?" Here's what Wikipedia had to say about it:

"White space should not be considered merely 'blank' space — it is an important element of design which enables the objects in it to exist at all . . . A page crammed full of text or graphics with very little white space runs the risk of appearing busy, cluttered, and is typically difficult to read."

White space allows what is there to be more impactful, more appealing. This goes right along with the phrase God has put on my heart the last few months which is, "Slow down and make space." I often think about filling that space - in a good way - by making space for God to speak, making space to see and enjoy what is around me. But the greatest challenge for me is to simply be, to just exist in the white space.

So maybe this week my new phrase is "Slow down and leave white space."

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I like this concept. A few years ago I heard a series of sermons given on "margins" which is basically the same idea. I like the word picture of the text/graphic/pictures being overwhelming without any white space. Thanks for sharing!!