Thursday, September 09, 2010

Tired Hearts

I asked a group of co-workers last night at our house to draw pictures of how their hearts are doing right now, as all of them have recently moved to our city and started new jobs. While we were doing this, Ethan slipped into the room and observed. At one point he came over said, "Mom, there's something I want to show you."

He had drawn his own picture. It was his bed from above, complete with his fan, clock, books, pillows, and bookshelf. His heart was tucked under the blanket with a smile on its face, Z-Z-Z's drifting from its corner.

He said, "I drew this because, well, first of all, I'm tired and I want to go to bed. But also because my heart is tired of all the new things."

Wow, I can't blame him. This week alone he started Tae Kwon Do, Chinese, this bi-weekly group at our house, and homeschool co-op where he's the only 5th grader with all the middle school kids, not to mention all the newness of moving to a new place.

Last week I told God "too much has been asked of my heart lately," so I know just how he's feeling. We're trusting that over the next few weeks things will settle down and feel normal again.

No comments: