Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life with one arm

Have you ever thought about what life would be like with just one arm? Considered what you wouldn't be able to do? I've had the misfortune to discover the answers to those questions this week as I pulled a muscle in my left arm last week exercising. Let me tell you what becomes incredibly difficult:

drying your hair
driving a stick shift car (didn't even attempt it)
opening a can of tuna
washing dishes
lifting a KitchenAid mixer from the bottom shelf up to the counter
putting on clothing
using the bathroom
zipping your bag closed
turning the pages in your book
and so on . . .

The kids have been quite sweet and helpful, partly because they find it greatly amusing to see what I can't do. More than once I've had to have the kids lick something off my left index finger because I couldn't bend my arm to my face. Thankfully, each day it feels better. This morning I could see my elbow bones again - there'd been too much swelling previously to see. On the one hand it's been a great excuse to slow down and rest (something God often likes to force on me because I have a hard time choosing it myself) but I will be very glad when I can stop figuring out creative ways to do everyday tasks. Ever tried to open a stuck jar with one hand?

No comments: