Monday, March 19, 2007

Caught in the Rain

I had about 10 seconds from the first drop until the moment it was a confirmed downpour. That's the beauty and swiftness of tropical weather. Unfortunately, I was about a mile and a half from home and outside.

It is a blessing in Singapore that the only real weather question is, "Will it rain or not?" I found a website that shows where it is currently raining and where it will rain in the next three hours (the answer to that question this morning is, "Everywhere.") Obviously I didn't ask that question this morning before I chose to go exercise. On the other hand, I don't know that it would have changed my actions. I started to run when it began to rain, but quickly realized it was in vain - how fast can I run a mile and a half? Certainly not fast enough to avoid getting soaked in pouring rain. So instead I kept running and decided it was somewhat pleasant, given that I was already soaked from sweat and this at least cooled me down.

There is a lesson in that. We have so little control over so much in our lives, other than the control we have over ourselves and our choices. Choosing to accept it made the last leg of my journey much more enjoyable. Now I need to teach this lesson to my children, who were hoping to go to the zoo this morning with some friends.

No comments: