Saturday, April 23, 2011

5 Minute Friday

Ok, here's my second attempt at a 5 minute writing exercise. This time the prompt is Hard Love. Wow, I have a lot to say about that. Where to begin?

7:19 a.m.

A few years ago I started praying that God would teach me to love well. He's been answering that prayer, mostly by showing me first of all how I don't love well. By showing me the things that I love more than Him. By showing me how my refusal to engage in the hard conversations of life isn't love or grace, but cowardice.

He's shown me that loving others well is hard. It requires a willingness to say the things you'd rather not say, like "I was wrong" and "that hurt me, please don't do that" and "Do you forgive me?" and "I forgive you" and to hear those things as well. It's hard because many times what you believe is loving will not be received that way. It's hard because it requires vulnerability and trust.

I have been blessed that most of the people in my life are gracious, and they want to love well too. That's not always the case though, and that makes love harder. In those times I'm trying to look to God and imitate Him, because He knows better than anyone how to love well, and how to love when it's hard.

7:24 a.m.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this -- when I saw the topic, I thought of you! And now I am going to stop commenting on you blog and write you an e-mail instead. =)