Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lick Away, My Friends

I'm really glad that my mom never told me I shouldn't eat raw cookie dough because that's really the best part of cookies for me. Lately, though, I've met more people who are really against this idea of eating raw batter because of the whole salmonella thing. I know people who have never eaten raw batter because of this fear, and that to me seems tragic, like they're living less than a full life.

Well, today I found this post that proved to me (not that I really needed it) that it's perfectly acceptable to eat raw dough. Here are the stats:

Your chances of getting salmonella poisoning from raw cookie dough: 1 in 30,000.

Your chances of dying from salmonella poisoning: 1 in 50,000,000

Your chances of drowning: 1 in 1,000

Your chances of dying from slipping: 1 in 6,000

Your chances of dying from choking on food: 1 in 5,000

Your chances of being in a car crash: 1 in 4

So while you're doing all your holiday baking, enjoy yourself. Lick away! Do, however, take care while swimming, walking, eating, and driving.

3 comments:

Amy :) said...

I love it, Gina! I am one of those people who can't resist eating some of the raw cookie dough. Sometimes when I'm making cake, I really think the raw batter tastes better than the finished product.

I love those statistics... I will have to pass them along! :)

Amy :)

Tracie said...

So glad you've debunked the long-held anxiety of mothers the world over. I usually have taken the risk but with a twinge of concern. So glad I... I mean the girls... can indulge worry-free!

Nonna said...

Thanks for the statistics, Gina! I will share them with my cookie baking friends at church. There are several of us who eat batter without qualms, but some bring up the salmonella risk. I will continue to each batter and dough to my heart's content.