Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Changing times

Just this morning I was lamenting the loss of aspects of this culture due to development. For example, When we came in 1999, the bike lanes were as wide as the streets. At a stoplight, there were often 50 people stopped on bicycles. Now, there might be a handful. Times, they are a changin'.

Sure, you still see people walking backwards for exercise, but you see far more running forward in a more sensical manner. Most of them are actually wearing sneakers now and not dress shoes. Most would say this is for the better, but I'm nostalgic for the old backward ways (both literal and figurative).

Then this afternoon I went to pay for my kid's Chinese classes. I was given a three layered receipt in one office and instructed to go pay in the next room over. The girl in there looked startled, as though she is rarely called upon to perform this duty. When it came time for her to give me my 60Y change, she pulled out a large Butter Cookie tin and rummaged around for it. She came up 10Y short, so she reached into her own wallet and gave me the extra. Then she stamped my receipt, took one copy, and told me to go give one of the other two to the girl next door.

I was so ridiculously happy at this exchange, I can't tell you. I hope some things never change.

No comments: