Monday, June 23, 2008

No Lack of Self Esteem

We had a speaker at our conference in Thailand this year who spoke about how your family background affects what you think when you walk into a room full of people. Those with a dysfunctional background think, "There's something wrong with me, but I don't know what it is." Those from a "confused" (somewhat dysfunctional, somewhat healthy) background think, "What can I do to get you to like me?" and those from a healthy background think, "Here I am, LIKE ME!!"

In the car the other day, Megan asked me, "Mommy, why does everyone like me so much?" in a tone that implied confidence that no one would object to that idea. Of course I enjoyed the opportunity to remind my daughter of all her great qualities. Today she asked with a smile, "Mommy, why do people like to look at me?" And I told her it's because of her beautiful hair, her white skin, and her cute freckles. She lit up. So it seems like according to that speaker, she's doing pretty good so far!

No comments: