Sunday, November 05, 2006

Necessary Skills

My dad told me that Lexus just came out with a car that parks itself. To me, this is the adult equivalent of velcro. There is a whole generation of children who do not need to know how to tie their shoes because they have velcro. Do we want to not know how to park our own cars anymore? This is frightening to me because both shoe tying and car parking are skills that you may be called upon to use, and do you want to have to admit that you can't do them?

This brings me to a running list in my head of "Skills Every Adult Should Have." Here they are, subject to change:
1. Change a diaper
2. Jump start a car
3. Drive a stick shift car
4. Swim
5. Operate a computer, including email and internet
6. Pump gas (most Singaporeans I'm guessing can't do this - it's all full serve)
7. Ride a bike
8. Do CPR

This is not an exhaustive list, but it's what I can remember off the top of my head. Feel free to add to it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

maybe also to make p.b. & j. or grilled cheese, and laundry. Without these two essentails Kel would have been in trouble during his college years.

Sherri said...

I'm good...haha!
I agree!