Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Coyote show at 10 a.m.

My long absence can be explained by the fact that I am now writing from the other side of the world. I didn't mention it earlier because it was supposed to be a surprise that the kids and I were flying back to witness my brother's graduation from seminary and my mom's retirement (a surprise for my siblings, not my parents). In the end, they all knew ahead of time. So much for that.

But being back is always a joy. I love the feeling of grass under my feet, especially grass that's been cared for by my father's very green thumb. It's like a big velvet carpet. I thought the kids would enjoy getting out into nature, so I took them to Quarry Hill, a local nature center. I started talking it up on the way, telling them that we could walk in the woods. They asked if there would be animals in the woods. I said maybe. What kind? Lions? Tigers? Elephants? Sorry kids, those aren't really native to Minnesota. They weren't very impressed with nature.

Later, I took them to Oxbow park, which has a small zoo of animals that someone wandered into the woods somewhere in Minnesota and captured. I thought they might like seeing some natives. We walked past the coyote cage, but it was empty. Ethan asked me where it was. I said I didn't know, to which he replied, "He's probably doing a show." That would be interesting. I wonder if you could get a coyote to do any tricks. At the Singapore zoo they have a farm animals show which must be fascinating to native people, but for those who grew up seeing those animals in our backyards, it's not that impressive. I guess it's all about where you're from.

We're only here for another week. Give me a call at my parents if you know the number. :)

1 comment:

Liz said...

feel free to e-mail me that number. :0)