Friday, April 14, 2006

Adrenaline plunge

Erik returned yesterday from an eight day trip in various parts of Asia. I try to keep my expectations low when he's gone as far as what I can accomplish, but also try to fill our time with fun activities so that it passes quickly.

We were doing well, the kids and I, up until Saturday afternoon after gymnastics. It was then that we hit some sort of mental and physical road block, as I'm used to Erik taking the kids Saturday afternoon. To make it worse, all three of us became sick, me most of all. This continued through Sunday (keeping us from church). The bummer when we're all sick is that no one can take the kids while I rest, but God was so gracious - the kids played really well together, with only a minimum number of "What can we do now mommy?" questions.

After the weekend I felt better, and I was amazed at how it seemed like my energy level was great, and the kids were behaving really well despite Erik's absence. All was well until Erik returned yesterday at 4:30. Then I plunged.

I often forget, but this tends to happen whenever he's gone. I subconsciously am driven by adrenaline, managing to function on less sleep and less free time. But once he's back, my body knows it can relax, and I plunge into this "leave me . . . alone . . . must sleep . . . " kind of zombie state. The morning after, I'm still quite sluggish. I'd like nothing more than to go back to sleep. Thoughts of homeschool, or making Good Friday some kind of spiritually memorable day are pushed way to the back of my mind.

So I think maybe my kids will watch It's the Easter Beagle Charlie Brown while I go back to bed. Later, when I've pulled my body together and possibly propped it up with some caffiene, I'll be able to get ready for our little girl's 4th birthday tomorrow. Have a blessed weekend!

No comments: